Thursday, November 8, 2012

A First Quilt to Restart a Crafter at Heart

I have always been a crafter, but not so much a sewer.  About two months ago the last time I had even touched a sewing machine was in 7th grade sewing class (and I have been out of college for almost two years)!  One day in September, as Katie and I were looking at projects on Pinterest, we realized our crafting projects were limited without a sewing machine.
 

After seeing all of the possibilities of crafts we could do, we suddenly got the bug to buy sewing machines.  After hours of research and reading many reviews, we landed on the Brother CS6000i.  Yes, you read this right…Katie and I have matching sewing machines!

As soon as I got my machine, I decided to dive right in and start a quilt as my first major project…crazy idea, right?!  Yeah, I didn’t really know exactly what I would be getting myself into.  But thanks to Pinterest, I see all these pictures and I tend to feel that I can accomplish any project.  So I decided to skip right over the pillows and hot pads and make my very first quilt.  Who needs a warm up project?  Not this gal!  YouTube and Google were my best friends in order to search for techniques, tips and videos. 

My First Quilt! :)

I came across the Family Ever After blog  and found this adorable ruffle-top quilt.  I noticed it was a quilt along, and even though it started in May, and I was starting in September, I decided to give it a shot.  I figured if worse came to worse, I could always ask Rach who writes the blog.  Somehow that was enough security for me to be crazily over-ambitious. 

Let’s just say the ruffle foot was not my friend through the process of making this quilt (and I have some valuable lessons learned on this that I will pass on to you another day). 

Anyway…the big reveal!!!  Here is my very first completed quilt.   :)
 

Advice for you beginners out there:

As I completed the last stitches of this quilt, I felt a feeling of accomplishment that I have never felt before.  My advice to you is this: even if you are just a beginning sewer don’t be scared to jump right in to a project that you think may be a bit over your head.  You will come out of it having overcome challenges, having learned lessons for future projects… and most importantly, having an amazing project that you can be proud of and treasure forever!

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful quilt, Jess! Are you sure you've never made one before?

    ReplyDelete